Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Laptop, Kangaroo & Chocolate Walk into a Theatre...

What in the name of the good lord do you think these are? - Laptop, Novel, Kangaroo, Flash, Rock'n Roll, Chocolate... No, it's not some guessing game devised for my toddler but some actual film titles from the Malayalam movie industry! 

This is all about the curious case of recent movie titles. 

"What's in a name? A Rose Is a Rose is a Rose is a Rose," said the famous bard, and our filmmakers decided to take it utmost seriously, I suppose. For where else would you find such ridiculous names for movies?

Now sample these Kannada film titles - 35 out of 100, Jolly Days, Bombaat, 10th class A sec, PUC, Satya in Love.
I'm not asking for deeply symbolic titles, and I can instantly recount quite a few. Just names that leave you with some idea of what the film is about or intriguing, such as the "Quantum of Solace," but even it can be something as simple yet meaningful as "Kill Bill," please.

Now I don't think Tamil & Hindi movies fare any better. It's just that I am unable to get myself to even come up with a list of the ones in other languages.

So do we call this lack of creativity or taking creativity to its extreme? I dunno, but I wish a little more thought is put into selecting the titles of films; after all, these are going to go down the film archives.

And the rate at which names of movies are being selected, I am 100% sure I'll write a random post that'll be made up of only movie names. I'll go on a limb and even say they'll all belong only to the Malayalam industry. Lol 

No comments: