Friday, November 26, 2010

My poor little squished ego

Of all the delusions that I may have, the one I definitely do not carry is that of my singing capabilities. I am no Lata Mangeshkar or an Asha Bhonsle is but plain knowledge but definitely am not a female voice version of Anu Malik too. Now Why am I raking this all of a sudden?

My son has caught the seasonsal flu and is at home at the time when I leave to work. Its not called the age of 'terrible two's' without reason. So for past few days he runs up to me, clings and starts bawling saying I am not supposed to leave him and go to work. I then cajole him, make up stories of a bad boss who will be bad to mamma if I dont work and end up making lots of promises to take him to his fav jhoola park; malls etc and feeling wretched leave home.

Well today was no different except that sonny boy was half sleepy with droopy eyes. So I thought why not sing him a lullaby of sorts and then can make a clean exit while he has sweet dreams. With such good intentions I cradled him and for whatever reasons the only song I could think of at that time was "Khwaja Mere Khwaja". I had just about crooned two lines of it when he mumbled - 'Mamma padathey'. Of course, what a stupid song to sing to a baby. I decided on my personal fav "Thode badmash ho tum" from Sawaariya. Within minutes my sleepy boy says - Mamma Padathey. Mamma don't sing. Each letter a little more pronounced than I would have liked to hear.

Silence.

I slided him to the arms of my much amused mother and embarassedly muttering that it was getting late to office, I booted from there. Babycenter lies when it says kids love to hear their mom sing and they dont mind off-key notes. I exactly now realise what they mean when they say "my family is my best critic".

My boy is ill and possibly wanted some quiet. Bad choice of songs, maybe. Hmm I think I need to learn some good lullaby's soon.

No comments: